Monday, May 22, 2006

The Fifth Dimension

Wired Magazine in the April 2006 issue has an article from Steven Johnson about when virtual worlds collide. He envisions a virtual parallel virtual universe where you can seamlessly move from universe to universe. He also rises the problems and needed steps for this to happen. At the moment this virtual worlds are many times property, built in different platforms. My idea of the parallel universes overcomes the problem of having to converge all the worlds. In practice why Hommer Simpson would need to be compatible with the Sims. I am not saying that I would limit that, I am just saying that you could have them separated if you want as the owners or creators initially intended, and then if they allow so, they could merge.

Today quantum theory supports the logic framework for a setting of parallel realities simultaneously happening. I can be here witting this while my virtual me number 1 is living a good time in Everquest fighting Orcs. So once you acknowledge this the only thing that you need is to shape it and organize this worlds, give them coordinates so people can know where they are. Imagine how many people play the same scenario or level in a multiplayer game. All of them happening at some specific time in the same place. Those are virtual parallel universes, restricted to only those playing that game.

No comments: